Progress, At Least I Think It Is

 I am sure that you have had difficulty sleeping, wondering how the Frolic project has been coming along. I have continued to work away on it. I didn't take any pictures the last couple of days, so I figured I'd shoot some today, give you an update and leave a record for my future reference. 

When I started this morning, this is what the former resident of Mt. Nebo looked like.

I had taken the door and a window out and began the skinning process. It doesn't show, but I also spent some time, yesterday scraping an accumulation of fibered aluminum roof paint off the roof. More to come, much more!

I am really developing a dislike for clutch-head screws. I had seen these before but never had to work with them. They are really common on old trailers. You also find them in some old cars. It must be that they go in a lot easier than they come out.
After some work, I found some bits for my driver. I have a couple more on the way. Actually, the screws that aren't rusty and/or gobbed with paint come out pretty well. The problem is most of the screws I'm working with are rusty and painted. I tried several schemes for getting the contrary hardware to cooperate. The best idea is to put a thin blade in my grinder and cut a slot in the screw head. I put a big slotted screw bit in my driver and have pretty good success.


 I told you that I am dealing with some rot. After today's work, you can get a better idea of what I mean. Water is a wonderful thing as long as it stays where it is supposed to stay. You can see below that it didn't.

I hope that before the week is over, I'll get started on rebuilding the front wall, which on these campers is kind of a continuation of the ceiling.


The standard way to do this, on one of these vintage trailers is to install the inner wall/ceiling--
plywood, paneling, whatever--first and then work out. I've seen videos of some who did it another way. I should know in the next day or two which way I'll go on this.

The tongue jack was already off. I took off the propane tanks and regulator, as well as the battery. box. They need to come off at some point so I can paint the tongue and all that stuff. I went ahead and did it today, because getting all that stuff out of the way made it much easier to start skinning the front.

Somebody had been in this part of the trailer a while back. The Phillips head screws gave them away. I wasn't impressed with their repairs, but I'm sure others will look at my work in the future and be likewise critical of my efforts.
There is a cabinet that goes above those windows (on the inside, silly). I took it down, but it was too dark for a picture. More clutch head screws, no paint, but these were long ones, and I couldn't get at them with the grinder. I did overcome, however!

If you are in the market for some clutch head/slotted screws, I'm your man. It's enough to make a man strike a rock. That guy, though, was a tent camper. He ended things on Mt. Nebo. I'm hoping that for this traveler, Mt. Nebo is a new beginning.
See you later. 
 

.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We camped in Frolic for the first time. It's officially done.

Big Trip #9, Utah, Arizona, & New Mexico

Moving forward, slowly, on three fronts: