Signs of Character

 Wasn't it that great observer of the human condition Clint Eastwood who said scars are a sign of character.?

The Frolic from Mt. Nebo has its share. I mentioned a while back that at some point in the camper's history a tree limb fell on it. The previous owner told me that there were two holes that resulted from that incident, one about the size of a tennis ball. Actually, there were three. Two of them are far enough back on the roof that they can't be seen. The other one is right on the little camper's forehead. 





"Where'd you get that?"

"Me 'n' and oak tree got into it one night. You should'a seen the oak. It lost a limb."

My resources or abilities don't allow for getting the little trailer back into pristine condition. It will be a whole lot "prissier" than it was when I got it. 

Except for the door and some touchups, I finished the external painting. I have the panels on the front temporarily mounted. 



The red is International Harvester Red. During the short time my dad was a farmer, after WW2, when he and mom were newly-weds, he had a Farmall tractor. So it's in his honor.

I was talking to a young man the other day. The first part of his life has been at least a little rough, a good bit of the roughness was self-induced. I'm glad to say he's doing better now. I pray that he contniues. He's like the Frolic. He carries some scars. He told me, "What I've done has made me who I am. The statement is sort of a personal application of the hardscrabble philosophy, "Whatever doesn't kill you will make you stronger." I know what my friend means, and truly hard times can lead to growth of character. It can also lead to bitterness, depression, anger and its unsavory cousins, etc. After I thought about what my friend said, I think for the child of God,  a better way of putting it is, "My life and all that has happened in it is my past. Clearly, all of that has marked me, I've got scars. But, it is the grace of God that has made me what I am."

The extra good news is, God isn't lacking in resources, wisdom, or patience to make us all that He wants us to be. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We camped in Frolic for the first time. It's officially done.

Big Trip #9, Utah, Arizona, & New Mexico

Moving forward, slowly, on three fronts: