It takes warmth to make a house a home, whether it's anchored down or on wheels.

 The house where Kathy and I have lived for most of our lives is well-made little Cape Cod. The original parts of the house are about the same age as I. The collection of 2x4s, plaster, sheetrock, oak flooring, and various amenities serves us well. It keeps us dry and secure. It's warm in the winter, and--since I added an AC system--cool in the summer. 

But those things don't make it a home. For that, we need Kathy's lovely decorations, the history and memories that abide in its nooks and crannies, in short life, warmth. Often people speak of "hearth and home." That doesn't merely refer to a fireplace. It speaks of the warmth one feels when they enter the place and feel the embrace of the familiar, the welcome, the secure, the love--all things that a mere house can't do.

My desire is that The Frolic be more than a portable box where we can live while seeing the wonders of God's world. I want it to be a home. For that it needs warmth. 

I've been working for far longer than I expected getting the gas to the stove, the refrigerator, and to the place where the water heater will eventually be installed. Part of it was I had other things to do. I had to study, figure, and learn as I progressed. Some of the parts I had on hand didn't work. I had to go back and redo some things. I proceeded with caution. Gas is flammable, even explosive. Extra care is in order.

Today I lit the cooktop, and don't ask me how it works, but I lit the flame that makes the refrigerator cold. The system passed the sniff test and the soapy water inspection. Finally!


As soon as I lit the cooktop I got the camping coffeepot and brewed a pot. I invited my bride to join me for a cup. We sat at the little table and enjoyed a pretty good--if I say so myself--cup of coffee and a nice conversation. Even though the little trailer still has a long way to go and it's on jack stands in the back yard. It felt kinda like home.


To make it work I installed a new two-stage, auto-switching regulator. (The Frolic has two LP cylinders, gifts from our sons. The regulator will automatically switch tanks when one gets empty.) The regulator I had bought for $5 a while back didn't work, but the connector hoses that came with it are worth way more than the $fiver. The one that was on the camper when I bought it is a single stage, not what I'm supposed to use, so I'm told, and it didn't work, anyhow. I put new black pipe under the camper and copper inside. The connections in the picture may not look like much, but when you call it a "manifold" it's a whole lot more impressive. 

You can also see some wiring that is being routed in the same vicinity. 

You can't really see it in the picture of Kathy enjoying her coffee, but here is what her cup says.

If you can take home with you, that's pretty good too. 

Now that I've got the LP system working and all the wiring routed in the road-side wall, I'm ready to close it up. Actually, I started today, but the cold fall rain cut my work time short.


It takes a while to make a home.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We camped in Frolic for the first time. It's officially done.

Big Trip #9, Utah, Arizona, & New Mexico

Moving forward, slowly, on three fronts: