These first two pictures should get the prize for dullest photography, but they represent a step ahead. In my last post, I told you that I had gotten the little trailer so I can keep the cold out and the warm in. It warms up easily, which makes it a comfortable place to work.


Some of my early-on decisions had to do with what to keep and what to tear out. One of those decisions concerned the ceiling. The Frolic came with a brown masonite ceiling with sort of a heavy-duty contact-paper--white with random gold streaks--glued to the masonite. Each seam was covered with a thin strip, moulding, which was also wrapped in the contact paper. It also had some plastic, daisy-looking washers and screws inserted to keep the ceiling from sagging. The tree limb that fell on it (see this post), the leaking, and probably just old age had resulted in sagging, peeling,

and staining. Remarkably, except for one place which is covered by a cabinet, the masonite was solid. I decided that I'd peel the plastic off, sand, and paint the masonite.

The pictures show the ceiling after a couple of coats of Kilz. My yardsale queen wife got me a really good deal on the Kilz :). I have some touching up to do, but I think after it gets a coat of finish paint it will look quite good. The walls also have a coat of primer on them. The walls and cabinet frames will be painted. The doors and drawer fronts will be the original stain and varnish (maybe it was shellac) finish. I plan to make butcher-block counters and tabletop.

I also spent a while at the local Ace Hardware today. I picked up an assortment of screws, bolts, wood-filler, etc. that I need to proceed with the interior. A while back I was given a large piece of sheet aluminum. I haven't measured it, but I figure is about 1/16 thick. I think I can use it to make a rock guard for the front windows. I figure that with the long-distance trip I have planned for the Frolic that it ought to have one. While I was at Ace, coupon in hand, I also picked up some aluminum angle and some rivets for that project. 

I've had a cold for the better part of a week, and we have some holiday traveling planned, so work on Frolic has been slow. I'm hoping to focus more on the project in January.

Merry Christmas,


Some friends encouraged me with some canned ham ornaments. Thanks, Lois & Dan, & John.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We camped in Frolic for the first time. It's officially done.

Big Trip #9, Utah, Arizona, & New Mexico

Moving forward, slowly, on three fronts: